- Hiring musicians for each production while adhering to budgets and instrumentation needs
- Arranging music as needed throughout the season
- Creating simple rehearsal tracks that reflect the arrangement needs of the choreographer
- Attending company rehearsals at minimum 3 times per month. The company rehearses Sundays from Noon to 3 pm and Mondays and Wednesdays from 2-5pm.
- Liaising with the Company Manager to schedule above rehearsals
- Liaising with Production Team to insure that all audio needs are clear for performances
- Communicating with musicians to schedule rehearsals both with and outside of the company rehearsals as well as confirming availability for tech/show week schedules
- Potentially composing music for tap dance pieces
This is a contracted position that runs from October 1 – June 30 and is approximately 5-15 hrs per month depending on proximity to show dates. There will be two to three performances and a gala during this period. In most seasons there are occasionally opportunities to tour. Payment includes a monthly fee ($200/month) plus additional fees for rehearsing ($30/rehearsal) and performing ($250 per weekend).
This position requires someone with expertise in arranging music, being a band leader & communicating with others. Experience working with dance and theater companies is a plus. Background in jazz music is also a plus, however musicians of all styles of music are encouraged to apply. They should also be communicative, self-motivated and detail-oriented. A specific interest in working with a dynamic, growing tap dance company is encouraged!
If interested, please send resume and any samples of songs you have either composed and/or arranged to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 1 with “Music Director” in the subject line.